Dome to Dish: A Sustainable School Garden Greenhouse
December 27, 2014
Dome to Dish, "Seed to Feed," is a nonprofit school garden project in New Zealand. Led by Michelle Leslie-McArthur and part of the Kids Kai Time Charitable Trust, this unique program builds sustainable dome greenhouses and helps children receive the educational, health, and community benefits of a local school garden.
The dome greenhouse is being used to teach children many subjects - including math, science, and practical gardening skills. The location is also being used for an after-school program. Healthy harvests are being enjoyed in the school cafeteria as well as surrounding community, promoting good health and economic development. The dome’s sustainable design captures sunlight in water tanks, thus providing passive solar heat and requiring no ongoing electricity costs.
Research shows that school gardens improve health and academic performance, as well as reduce discipline problems. Garden-based learning can help increase nutritional awareness, environment understanding, and social connections.
The greenhouse only required a modest amount of funds for material and infrastructure costs. Volunteer labor, Michelle’s passionate leadership, and the forward-looking nature of Cannons Creek School are what really made the project come to life. Now these students can benefit from an enhanced educational experience that will pay dividends for many years to come.
School gardens are simple and worthwhile. Implementation requires alignment with the school, plus ongoing commitment from parents and volunteers. We hope you’ll consider supporting a local school garden in your area!
More about the Dome to Dish project and Kids Kai Time:
- Kids Kai Time: Dome to Dish Overview
- Dome to Dish Facebook Page
- Kids Kai Time Facebook Page
- Help Sought to Feed Hungry Kids - Wairarapa Times
- Kids Kai Time Expands - New Zealand Celsias
- Facebook Post About Donation
Additional school garden resources and organizations:
- Center for Ecoliteracy
- Center for Ecoliteracy: A Guide for Creating School Gardens as Outdoor Classrooms
- The Kitchen Community
- Life Lab
- Cornell Garden-Based Learning
- Sowing the Seeds of Success
- Living Classroom
- Collective School Garden Network: Steps to a School Garden
- Nourish Life
- Grow Your Lunch
- Real School Gardens
- Let's Move: School Garden Checklist
- Wikipedia: Garden-Based Learning