Silicon Valley Gives 2015
June 17, 2015
For the second year, the Namaste Foundation and Inflection participated in Silicon Valley Community Foundation’s SVGives Day, a community-wide crowdfunding event held on May 5, 2015. Over 700 local non-profits were featured on the SVCF giving platform, which made it easy for individuals to give directly through online crowdfunding.
In addition to the individual gifts, foundations and companies played a role in incentivizing participation, contributing $3.7 million dollars in matching grants and prizes. Through Namaste Foundation, we provided matching gifts for the broader community’s support of The Art of Yoga Project, and we also matched all Silicon Valley Gives donations from Inflection employees. The result was ~$20,000 towards The Art of Yoga Project and 48 other organizations selected by Inflection team members. In total, the Silicon Valley community gave over $7.8 million during the event.
Beyond the financial impact of this initiative, we are excited about the connections made with local organizations and the momentum of social energy toward this and other crowdfunding campaigns. Sites like Razoo (the one used for SVGives), Indiegogo, and charity:water’s birthday campaigns are innovating the way organizations raise funds. These platforms are bringing greater ease and accessibility to the world of philanthropy.
Here are some of the additional initiatives we took in connection with SVGives 2015:
Facilitated in-person discussions with organizations - We invited members of two nonprofits and a representative from SVCF to participate in a lunchtime panel discussion at Inflection’s office about giving in Silicon Valley. You can watch the video here to hear the group’s reflections on local issues and different types of giving models.
Themed and gamified the campaign - At the Inflection offices, we themed pledges for SVGives around the Kentucky Derby. Each person who pledged got to pin a rose on our Winners’ Circle wreath. Being a part of the Winners’ Circle also made you eligible for a raffle drawing and special privileges (champagne) at our company Kentucky Derby celebration.
Highlighted organizations that support causes people are interested in - The week before SVGives, Nepal was hit with the first of two devastating earthquakes. For many of us, the immediate relief needed for that region became a priority in giving, which also took some of the focus away from local California organizations. To help individuals support the Nepal relief effort while still participating in SVGives, we used the SVCF database to find and highlight groups doing work in the Nepal region, as well as those supporting infrastructure projects in other impoverished areas of the world prone to natural disasters.
Here is a list of all the organizations we supported during SVGives through matching gifts:
- Alum Rock Educational Foundation
- American Red Cross of Silicon Valley
- Art of Yoga Project
- Asian Americans for Community Involvement of Santa Clara County
- Bay Area Cancer Connections
- Bay Area Ridge Trail
- Boys and Girls Club of the Coastside
- Building Futures Now
- City Lights Performance Group of San Jose Inc.
- City Year, Inc.
- Collective Roots
- Community United San Jose
- Dignity on Wheels
- East Palo Alto Kids Foundation
- Foothill – De Anza Community Colleges Foundation
- Foundation for a College Education
- Geohazards International
- Girls to Women
- Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay Silicon Valley
- Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco
- Healthy Cities Tutoring Inc.
- Innvision Shelter Network
- Juniper Foundation
- KQED Inc.
- Los Altos United Methodist Church
- Mindful Schools
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- My New Red Shoes
- Nursing Mothers Counsel
- Palo Alto Humane Society
- Parkinson’s Institute
- Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA
- Pets In Need
- Reading Partners
- ReSurge International
- Sankara Eye Foundation, USA
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- Silicon Valley Children’s Fund
- Silicon Valley Education Foundation
- South County Community Health Center
- Sustainable Silicon Valley
- The BELL Foundation Inc.
- Upwardly Global
- Volunteers in Asia
- World of Color